Friday, August 11, 2006

Vent

Ugh, I hate computers so much.
Why can't all these companies just make everything work easily? Why can't I get a new router to replace the broken one, and then just plug it in and everything works together without difficulty? How come whenever I call SBC to fix the modem, it works before anything is done, so I call Linksys, and get frustrated with that conversation. Ok, so they are most likely in another country, which is fine, and some of them have very difficult accents to understand, but I can handle that ok. What makes me mad is twofold:

1. I can't find someone who understands that I know a little bit about computers. I don't need to be told to "click start, now click run, now type in cmd, hit enter, then type in......" and it continues, with a pause between each command waiting for me to say "ok". Or, my favorite, instead of saying to go to a certain web site, they have to guide me through the process of opening Internet Explorer, highlighting what's in the address bar, and typing in some site. Most of the time, I'm ahead of their commands, and am waiting for them to catch up to me. Ok fine... I can get through all that. but then there's number 2

2. Have a senes of humor!!!! Are these people working in jobs they hate? Have they been beaten since childhood any time a joke is told and they laugh. Heck, it's not like I'm trying to make them crack up. I just want SOME sort of emotion. You know how you can sortof see the look on someone's face over the phone, just by their tone of voice? Well, I picture all of these people staring at a computer screen, not actually focusing on anything, with no emotion at all.

Ok, so there's a third reason this all makes me mad. These people, with their lack of personality, working for a company that makes a product that doesn't just work on it's own, in who-knows-where-ville, these people, they know more than me. I should be able to figure this all out. I'm not stupid, I have some sort of a geeky brain upstairs, but I just can't do it. None of the instructions i find make sense, there are about 3million clever abbreviations that I don't know. And it's not like it's a secret, all the info is out there, it's just organized by the people who know it, who don't have personality, or a logical way of explaining or organizing information.

So, I've decided to get rid of it all. I'm canceling WoW, I'm no longer going to email, blog, buy stuff online, check traffic, look at maps, find flight information, watch ridiculous videos. I'm going to run over my pocketpc, burn my psp, blow up my cell phone. I'm going to disconnect my car's computer and ride a bike.

Strike that, I'm gonna go and sit on the phone with Linksys tech support and fix it.

I lose.

No comments: